A hard drive is an electro-mechanical device that helps to store and retrieve digital information. You can say it’s the main part of the computer. After using a PC for a long time, there are many unknown data stored in a hard drive. It’s hard to detect and check every file. Sometimes the user may want to take a backup of the important information and clean up all the rest. In that case, formatting the hard drive can be really helpful. But sometimes that may not be the case.
Sometimes the user may want to get the drive as like as unused. In that case, formatting isn’t enough. Then the user may need to wipe off the entire data from the drive. Wiping a Hard Drive means deleting everything inside the drive. The user will need to take some extra steps to prevent the restoration or reconstruction of the data later on.
Steps to Wipe a Hard Drive
There is no specific time limit within which you will get done. The amount of time indulged will totally depend on the size of the hard drive and the procedure chosen.
So, the steps to wipe a hard drive are as follows:
- The most important thing before cleaning off any device, media or drive is to take a backup of the important data within it. This is to ensure that once the data is lost, you don’t have to deal with the troubles of not getting back the lost data.
- You need to download a free data destruction program or software. This is needed to wipe off a hard drive from outside of Windows. This is crucial if you want to wipe the hard drive.
- You need to complete the steps whatsoever to install the software. In case of a bootable software, there are 2 methods to do so:
- Using a CD/DVD- it involves burning the ISO image to a disc and boating from the disc, to run the program.
- Using a flash drive/USB drive- it involves burning the ISO image to the USB and booting from that USB drive to run the program.
- Then you need to wipe the hard drive accordingly and follow the software’s instructions.
After completion of the process, you can be pretty sure that the drive has been completely wiped off its entire data.
The above-described procedure is one of the easiest and most convenient when it comes to wiping a hard drive. By following the given information, any user can wipe a hard drive without any issues.